Accelerators

First Accelerator

Picture 1 of 17

The first accelerator built for the nuclear program in Canada. It was intended for the production of neutrons needed to study the fission process in the Montreal Laboratories of NRC. It was essentially a 2 MeV X-ray machine and in 1944, when it was delivered to Montreal, it was the most powerful ever built commercially. Named “Dumbo” by the Montreal group, it was moved to Chalk River in 1946 and was used in the Health Radiation Branch to study the effects of radiation on living tissue. Photo source - AECL

 

External Web Links for Accelerators