Cancer Therapy Machines
Cobalt-60 based cancer therapy units formed the backbone of the early business for the Commercial Products Division of AECL. The Division had its roots as the radioactive sales (radium) department of Eldorado Mining and Refining Ltd. which began its operations at Number Three Temporary building on Wellington Street in Ottawa. When AECL was created in 1952 the operations were transferred from Eldorado to AECL and the business, now using isotopes produced from NRX, became known as the Radiochemical Division with Roy Errington as General Manager. Plans began in 1953 for a new complex at Tunny’s Pasture that included modern hot cells and isotope handling facilities. The move to the Tunny’s Pasture facility took place in 1955.
Photo source and caption – AECL Review, March 1977.